Position/Title: Logistics Manager South Africa
Reports To: Managing Director
Area: Sales & Distribution
Number of Reports: 6
Leading and overseeing all aspects of the logistics function within Signal Hill Products. This includes managing 3PL supplier relationships, logistics contracts, primary and secondary distribution execution, customer service, productivity and people effectiveness. The successful candidate will play a critical role in optimizing the supply chain, ensuring efficient operations, and driving customer satisfaction. This position requires strong engaging leadership, an ability to identify and solve problems and getting results through people and suppliers. A deep understanding of logistics and supply chain management is a prerequisite.
Focus Area 1- RTM & Logistics Strategy Development
- Develop and implement an effective and efficient SHP – RTM and logistics strategy
Secondary Distribution & 3rd PL Supplier Management
- Ensure accurate and on-time in full order fulfillment by logistics dept.
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with third-party logistics (3PL) suppliers i.e. Liqour Runners etc.
- Monitor supplier performance, including service quality, on-time delivery, and compliance with contractual agreements.
- Collaborate with suppliers to identify areas for improvement and implement corrective actions.
- Conduct regular supplier SLA reviews and escalate where needed to ensure compliance and competitiveness.
- Manage supplier contracts, negotiations and ongoing relationship management.
Primary Distribution & Direct Ship
- Ensuring SHP Direct Ship targets and customer service levels met
- Getting results through active engagement with internal teams i.e. planning , trade marketing, RAMs, telesales etc.
- Developing a co-loading capability (ie. optimising partial direct ship / mechanised loads)
- Ensure transportation routes, carrier selection, and modes of transportation are optimised.
- Ensure PD plans are met – monitoring performace and identify improvement opportunities
- Oversee the management of logistics contracts, including transportation, warehousing, and other relevant agreements.
- Develop and maintain Distribution TSP
- Implement and monitor customer service metrics to evaluate performance and identify areas for improvement.
- Lead customer service initiatives to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key customers, addressing any concerns or issues promptly.
- Ensure processes in place to resolve customer complaints timeously
Productivity & Cost Management:
- Meeting logistics costs against budgets and targets by mode – Ie. Direct Ship, Mech Handling, Crew
- Monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) to assess operational performance and identify areas for improvement.
- Annual Liquor Runners and logistics contract negotiations.
- Collaborate with finance team to develop and manage logistics budgets.
- Management, tracking and reporting of SHP inventory including CHEP.
- Develop and implement “ways of working” to streamline logistics processes and improve productivity.
People and Team Effectiveness
- Build and lead a high-performing logistics team, fostering a culture of engagement and excellence.
- Building team capacity and capability – through coaching and individual development
- Talent and people cover management – ensuring key positions are filled with backup plans and people in place
Requirements of the Role
- Bachelor’s degree in logistics, supply chain management, engineering or a related field.
- Proven management experience in logistics operations within the Liquor Industry
- Familiarity with 3PL supplier management
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills, both written and verbal. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel /logistics management software and tools. Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines. Strong, energetic leadership – getting results through people.
This position requires strong self motivated leader, an ability to proactively identify and solve problems and getting results through people and suppliers. A deep understanding of logistics and a passion for excellence and continuous improvement is key.
NB: Specific duties/responsibilities will vary from time to time: the above list is intended to indicate the general nature of the post and is not exhaustive. The post holder will be expected to be flexible in supporting the business by undertaking any other responsibilities which are aligned with this job level